Thursday, August 14, 2014

8/13 Training Ride: Old Tunnel & Grizzly Peak

Now that summer break is over and I am back to work, my Wednesday training rides have moved to the evening.  The Arthritis Foundation's training group will ride every Wednesday until the tour and then go on hiatus.

On 8/13, it was just me and Mary, the ride leader.  One of the ligaments in Mary's knee wasn't feeling so good, so we kept the mileage down.  We left from the usual site at Peet's Coffee at College and Alcatraz.  From there, we wound through the Rockridge streets to arrive at Tunnel Road.  The section where the bike lane moves to the left of the highway 13 traffic can be a bit dicey to negotiate, but it was not hair-raising today.  We made the left turn and headed up Old Tunnel Road.  There were lots of other cyclists on the road, too.

When climbing Old Tunnel, we always meet up at the intersection of Skyline and Grizzly Peak (Old Tunnel becomes Skyline at Broadway).  I arrived first and decided to just go up the road a short bit to Sibley regional park to get some more water.  Sadly, I missed Mary in that short time and she continued up Grizzly Peak Blvd, thinking that I had gone ahead.  I returned to the meeting spot not realizing Mary had just been by.

It took quite a while of circling around and a cell phone call that finally got a signal and went through to find out that Mary was about 5 miles ahead of me by that time at Grizzly Peak and Centennial by that time!  Mary, always so nice, waited for me to catch up.  Fortunately, there were no more mishaps the rest of the evening.  The fog was coming in, so I put on the leg and arm warmers and turned on the lights.

We headed down (mostly) Golf Club by the Tilden park golf course and over to Wildcat Drive.  We continued down to San Pablo Dam Road and then over to the Orinda BART station. 

We rode BART back one stop and exited at Rockridge.  From there I rode my bike back to the car a few blocks away.

Here we are at the Orinda BART station.  Thanks to a friendly BART user who took our picture.  We've got the People's Coast Classic jerseys on.  Only a few weeks to go!

Stats:
21.05 miles
2,167 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment