Thursday, September 15, 2016

Post-Mallorca and Summer Training

The trip to Mallorca was great and we did a lot of good cycling.  It also served to kick start my summer training for the Arthritis Bike Classic this year.  I'm a 10-month employee at work and so I have a big chunk of time off in the summer.  During that time, I try to ride 150 miles a week.  Once I go back to work, I try to keep it up, but it is difficult, time-wise.  Also, this summer, we also got a new dog.  (My partner had to put our old dog to sleep last year while I was on the tour.  She was old and became very ill suddenly.)  So, I wanted to spend more time at home with the dog.  I tried for 100 miles per week after returning to work.  That included one week night ride.

Hank the dog at the shelter.

On the Fort Ross ride I did while off duty.

Is it an emu?  There a 2 or 3 of these critters at a vineyard/ranch on Alhambra Valley Road on the edges of Martinez.

Some cross training on a mountain bike ride.  The ride wasn't very long or technical, but it had a tough climb a couple of miles from the start with grades up to 20% in a few spots.
A portion of the training group at Big Basin State Park.  Although a tough one, this ride is also one of the most beautiful of the season and one of my favorites.  Whenever I start getting cranky about the climbing, I think about Troy doing the same climbing with the tailer.  He carries Broccoli the dog.  Look closely, you can see him holding the dog in the picture.

A big group turned out for the Labor Day weekend training ride.

Look at all these Arthritis Bike Classic veterans, in both California and Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment