Thursday, September 17, 2015

PCC Day 4

For day 4, we had rain on and off most of the day.  I was grinding away in it for the first 25 miles or so before there was a break.  The rest of the time it was still wet, but it was only mist or spray from vehicles.  At the first rest stop I had to wring out my socks because I took a risk and didn't put on my rain booties before leaving in the morning.  Everyone left early to try to beat the rain and Mary, Kim and I were the last ones in camp, so I tried to save time and hope for good weather.  Oh well.

I did put the booties on after wringing out my socks, but if I could have seen into the future, I probably wouldn't have bothered at that point. The worst was over.
Its me at the rest stop just after wringing out my socks.  We were drawing poker hands to see who would win a prize.  My full house wasn't high enough.
Because of the wet weather, the route marking was difficult.  Markings usually used on these kind of events are arrows that have adhesive on the back, but neither those nor spray chalk, another common method for marking, would stay on the ground.  Fortunately, the route was easy to follow as it was straight down 101 to Lakeside.  

Normally, there is a scenic bypass that turns off the highway a little before town and winds up a hill, past a lighthouse, and then in to town, but Elliott, who marks the routes, felt it was better to get into town via the more direct route based on the forecasts available at the time he had to go out and mark it.

Before this trip started, a couple of people asked if we would be getting that great welcome in Lakeside, like last year.  I am happy to tell you that we did.  There were people from town on the main street lining the route and waving us in (perhaps a few less than last year due to earlier rain), the handmade scarecrows were also out, and the most favorite of the riders, a huge array of homemade cookies waiting for us.

You can't tell, but the clothes say "Welcome to Lakeside."  It was super windy and they were hung up high, so this is the best picture I could get.
Anne at the cookie reception.

When I arrived, the sun was coming out and a few others has put up their tents, so I did, too.  I was really happy it would be able to dry out.  It was still quite wet from heavy dew at Otter Crest.  It had stayed in my baggage while in the cozy Yachats hotel.

Wet and cold feet and socks.
I left it to do a bit of laundry, since it is right on premises, and take a shower.  Before I got to the shower, Daniella told me the forecast would be rain over night and into the morning.  As a result, the organizers rented a large house across the street for us to spend the night, so we wouldn't have to pack up in the rain the next morning.  That will really give you a soaking wet tent!  It was really fortunate the house was so close and could sleep so many people because the hotel was booked.

Since the rain wasn't going to come until the evening, I figured my tent could wait another half hour while I took my shower.  Can you guess what happened next?

Yes, the rain started pouring as I was walking away from the showers.  I ran to the tent, but of course it was too late.  I packed my things inside the tent (still dry inside) and took them to the rented house.  I hoped the rain would stop again so I could take the tent down later.

While I was doing all my moving and managing my laundry, one of the other riders, Steve Overman, moved my tent under an awning so it could dry out before packing it.  He had done the same for his tent; just pulled the stakes out and picked the whole thing up and carried it.  

Thanks to Steve for looking out for me!  My tent didn't get 100% dry, but it was the driest it had been since waking up the first morning on the baseball field in Astoria.

The rental house was quite nice, with its own washer and dryer, so I was able to get my laundry all the way dry, too.  At least 17 people stayed in the house.

Bikes on the rack in camp at Lakeside

Me and Kim with one of the scarecrows around town.

Stats:
58.4 miles
3,082 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment