Sunday, September 13, 2015

PCC Day 1

We had a noisy night next to the barking sea lions, but it wasn't too bad.  I didn't sleep well but I don't think it was the sea lions.  In part, it was because I was too hot.  I put too many clothes on before going to bed.

After breakfast, which was a very tasty breakfast burrito, we went just down the street to a Rogue Public House for photos. After pictures there, we hit the road out of town, led by John and Steve.  John is the brew master at Rogue and Steve is the captain of team Inbetweenie.
Rogue Public House was our starting point.

Although overcast, the weather was warn enough that I didn't put on any arm or leg warmers, which is practically a miracle me, especially considering I was getting dressed at 6:30 am.

After leaving Astoria, we rode for a while and then came into Seaside.  In Seaside we had a lovely ride along the car-free promenade, right on the water.

Somehow I missed the first rest stop in Canon Beach and just kept going.  There was some rolling and climbing, but nothing too strenuous.

One of the major challenges of the first day of riding is the Arch Cape Tunnel.  It is a narrow with limited to no shoulder.  To improve safety for cyclists, before entering tunnels there is a button to press which activates flashing lights on yellow signs to alert cars that cyclists are present.  Cars are supposed to slow to 30 mph. I'm not sure how many do.  Also, the lighting isn't great and the noise level is terrible.

Last year, I must have lucked out because I can't really remember having a bad experience or hardly any cars.  This year, not so lucky.  Quite a few cars went by, each direction.  It was a bit hair-raising, especially with the constant noise.  The one good thing I can say is that the tunnel isn't that long.

Lights and sign outside tunnel
This is a picture taken by another cyclist of the inside of the tunnel, showing the lack of shoulder.

 I saw the second rest stop because Ginger was at the curb with pom poms.  The stop was at a restaurant, but it was only 11:30 in the morning and I wasn't very hungry, so I took a PB&J half sandwich and continued after a short break.

Besides not being very hungry, I had an ulterior motive to eating light.  I planned to stop at the Tillamook cheese factory when I got to town and eat their samples.  I knew that would be at the end of the ride, in about 20 or 25 miles.

Just down the hill from the rest stop was a turn off 101 and on to some back roads through farming areas.  Last year we stayed on 101 the whole time, but on Sundays the traffic is fairly heavy, so one of the route changes this year was to get off the highway for a while.  It was definite improvement and the scenery was lovely; peaceful and relaxing.  The "detour" was 14 miles and then we returned to 101 to get into the town of Tillamook, riding along Tillamook Bay and enjoying the shining sun.

Relaxing cows on our 101 detour.
Sheep on the detour.
We camped at a different place this year, closer to town and across the highway from the cheese factory.  I arrived about 1:30 pm, which gave me plenty of time to take a shower and put up my tent before going to taste the cheese.
The factory was mobbed with people and there wasn't much going on in the factory to observe, but I did get a few samples.


Tillamook Bay

Cheese factory
Stats:
66.5 miles
2,928 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment