Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day 1: Astoria to Tillamook

Sunday, Sept. 7

We had breakfast at the campground and then rode our bikes down the road to Rogue Public House.  Rogue is one of the tour sponsors.  We took some group pictures in our matching jerseys then hit the road at about 9 am.

We road across the bridge to get on to 101.  The weather was quite cool and a little drizzly.  Definitely time for leg and arm warmers.

We went through the town of Seaside where riders Dan and Julie Jesse own the Caffe Latte.  They offered riders free coffee.  We continued through Seaside.  Outside of town, I saw Keith ahead of me and tried to catch him, but couldn't.  In about 5 miles we arrived at our first rest stop in Cannon Beach.  It is a pretty town on the ocean.  Rita's husband Hal was working the rest stop as well as Keith's wife Shelley and their son Patrick.

I continued on from there on my own.  At the second rest stop, I had a nice conversation with the couple there, rider Wade's parents.  Apparently, I was only the fifth rider to come through.  A train pulled up a few minutes after I arrived. 

There were rolling hills after that.  There wasn't much climbing on this route so I had a pretty fast average speed.  I didn't see another rider until I got to Tillamook at the end of the rid.

I arrived at the campground around 1:30 pm.  I didn't realize that if I wanted to go to the Tillamook cheese factory, I should have stopped on the way in.  Oh well, there's plenty of cheese factories in Marin I can visit.
The sun finally came out as I was coming into Tillamook. 

Rita and I checking out at the hotel.

Getting ready for the start at Rogue.
View in Cannon Beach.
Train at rest stop #2.
Pressing the button turns on a light that flashes at the entrance of the tunnel so car drivers know a cyclist is there because there is no shoulder.


Tillamook cows near our campsite.



Stats: 
69.35 miles
2,271 feet elevation gain



No comments:

Post a Comment