Saturday, September 6, 2014

Day 0: Sept 6

Saturday, Sept. 6

I don't know what the problem is, but I don't seem to be able to attach photos to the text I am posting.  That's a disappointment.  If there is a way to fix it later, I will. [I never did figure out how to add more than one photo, but I'm going back now and adding additional photos, cleaning up my typos and filling in the details.]

Today was a free day.  I slept in and then joined some of the other riders from our group for a look around town.  

Astoria formerly had a strong fishing industry, but it is moving on to other industries now, such as tourism.

The morning started warm, but a cool breeze came up in the afternoon.

We had a kick off event at 5 pm at Rogue Public House where we met the other riders and learned more about what's happening tomorrow and the rest of the ride.  We are attaching our name plates to the bikes now and getting ready for an early morning.

This is the Astoria-Megler Bridge.  It takes people from Astoria to Point Ellice, Washington.

The Flavel house is now a museum.  It was the home of Captain Flavel.

Giant anchor at the Maritime Museum.

Rita and Hal at lunch at the Wet Dog Cafe. 

View along Columbia River from the River Walk.

There is a deep shipping channel very close to shore.

Another view from the River Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment