Monday, September 18, 2017

Sunday, September 17, Day 2

Rain was predicted for day two, so we left as early as we could to try to get as far as possible before it started.  I was hoping that by carrying all my gear that would prevent the rain from coming, but that didn't happen.

We cycled to Newport and went through town and then around Yaquina Lake.  Great views of boats, tree-lined hills in the near distance, just near the end of our ride around was a climb to wake us up. That lead into the town of Toledo and rest stop #1.

From here was an out and back loop.  I had been riding with Dave and followed him out of the stop.  We got a little way out of town and Dave took off.  I rode on for about 10 miles and expected to see the fast people heading back on the loop but never did. To my surprise, I ended up at rest stop #3. Turns out, we missed the turn to do the loop and were most of the way to camp!

At that point, with rain coming down (and not expected to stop) I wasn't going to go back for it.  I put on my rain jacket and pants but not the booties because I didn't want to get overheated.  I continued on to camp in the rain. I arrived just as they were setting up, with on Dave ahead of me.

When the truck with the equipment arrived, I got my tent and set it up while there was still a dry spot under a tree.

We started a campfire and started to dry out/warm up.  Gradually, soggy riders came into camp.  We had pop up covers/tents to keep us dry so that we could huddle around the fire. 

It was very rainy and wet but we had a good time.

Rain continued almost all night. Rain coming down on a tent is quite loud, so I woke up a few times during the night and then early in the morning when the generator for the caterer started up.

I'll post pictures separately to make sure the entries are able to get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment